Many families travel far from home and spend several weeks or months to get treatment for their seriously ill or injured children – a long time to be away or to divide a family. And, for children facing a serious medical crisis, nothing seems scarier than not having mom and dad close by for love and support. The Ronald McDonald House of Fort Worth is a “home-away-from-home” for families so they can stay close by their hospitalized child at little or no cost. The RMHFW maintains a caring, comfortable atmosphere where families can share love and emotional support from others who are experiencing similar situations.
Our House is built on the simple idea that nothing else should matter when a family is focused on the health of their child – not where they can afford to stay, where they will get their next meal or where they will lay their head at night to rest. We believe that when a child is hospitalized, the love and support of family is as powerful as the strongest medicine prescribed.
Allow Families to Face the Weight of Illness Together
Families are stronger when they are together, which helps in the healing process. By staying at the Ronald McDonald House, parents also can better communicate with their child’s medical team and keep up with complicated treatment plans when needed. They can also focus on the health of their child, rather than grocery shopping, cleaning or cooking meals.
Allow Children to Get the Best Care
When your child is sick, you want the best care possible – no matter if it is five, hundreds or thousands of miles away. The Ronald McDonald House of Fort Worth allows families to access specialized medical treatment by providing a place to stay at little or sometimes no cost.
Making it happen
The generosity of volunteers and donors make it all possible. In return, families either stay at no cost or are asked to make a contribution of $20 per day of stay. If a family is unable to make a contribution, they may still stay at the House.
Services for Families
At our House, families can enjoy:
- Smoke-free, secure environment; all adults staying at the House undergo a background check
- Private bedroom with queen-size Tempur-pedic beds; we have 57 family bedrooms, including six transplant suites for children with suppressed immune systems
- Home-cooked meals
- Three complete kitchen areas with designated refrigerator, freezer and pantry space for each family
- Two dining rooms
- Three family rooms with big screen TVs, sofas, chairs, piano, game table and state-of-the-art audio/visual equipment
- Play room for young children
- Game room with pool table, Xbox and Wii gaming systems and games
- Meditation room with books and journals
- Enclosed courtyard with children’s play land, bicycles, tricycles, scooters, etc.
- Courtyard patio with gas grills and wood patio furniture
- Five laundry rooms with detergent, softeners, bleach, etc. provided
- Three community computers with free Internet access
- Free Wi-Fi in all bedrooms and common spaces
- Recreational activities, including tickets to various professional sports teams on a limited basis
- Free haircuts one to two times per month
- Game nights, movie nights